Monday 27 November 2017

My NaNoWriMo17 Adventure

Last year I did NaNoWriMo and wrote The Rose Thief. Admittedly I had 20k before I went in so felt a little bit smug at reaching target. And then it took me a good year to get my editing butt in gear but the book was finished and now it's out there in the verse.


So when November rolled around again I figured I should give it another go. Despite not having 20k of anything hidden under a pillow somewhere. I was going to go in fresh. It would be fantastic. I would write and create and build and it would be wonderful. After all, I was going to write a sequel, how hard could that be? I refer you to my post 'The Thing About Sequels Is...'

I decided early on that I wouldn't be shooting for the 50,000 words goal. After all, my baby was due on 26th November so I should really give myself a break. Instead, I aimed for 1000 words a day. The first three days went great then I missed a couple, then hit goal a few more days, then missed a few. Then realised at this rate I probably wouldn't even make it to halfway.


Do you know what has been different about NaNo this year? The fantastic, amazing support I've received across Facebook and Twitter from fellow writers. All churning out hundreds and hundreds of words AND encouraging others to do likewise. But the really interesting thing is that despite everyone working to a different schedule, with different life obstacles and differing motivation, whether you've written 1000 words or 75000 words everyone is there ready to throw you a little party. It feels great!


And you know what? I might not make it to 50k and that's ok. I'm currently hovering around the 38k ish mark with two days to go. Who knows what will happen? The storyline is snaking around wonderfully, I have vague notions of what will happen next and no idea as to how the book ends. The characters are only being reticent in groups of two and so I get to rotate storylines regularly. It's exciting.

As for the baby, well, apparently she'll get here when she gets here and I'll just 'know' when I go into labour. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment