Friday 14 January 2011

Too much junk food

I feel much like I imagine a giant seal feels like when beached on a sandy spit.  Large and blubbery, rotund in its excessive size, lethargic and irritable.  Too much junk food.  Too much MSG, sugar and trans-fats, too many E-numbers and unpronounceable chemicals leaving a bad taste in mouth, furry teeth, a swirly belly, nasty burps and dodgy piping.  Why oh why oh why do we do this to ourselves?  Everytime I cleanse my system with water, fruit, vegetables and home-made cooking I feel so so so so much betterer so why the constant slip back into junk food-itis?

It's a drug you know.  We are all addicted to the taste of junk food, the high it gives us and the constant need to feed the sugar craving.  There is too much choice - which bad tasting fake foodstuff shall I eat today?  Which convenience will be rewarded with my money today?  Apparently we waste enough money on buying junk food to actually buy a brand new car, twice.  That is a disturbing thought.  I think people are so time poor that they don't even think about the non-intelligent food choices they are making.

Luckily (!) for me, I have an extremely sensitive digestive system.  What this means is that I spend a great deal of my time feeling ill to the point where I have actually been known to weigh up the illness factor against whether to eat a certain item or not.  It's brainless behaviour really because when eating right, the difference is unbelievable.  It doesn't take long for the sugar craving, cold turkey headaches to disappear and as we all know, home-made cakes are fat free and contain no calories.  Plus that sense of satisfaction when clothes are fitting nicely and you feel awake, full of life, energised and ready to face the day.

So basically I'm whining, which is no way for a grown woman to spend her time.  If I could, I'd slap myself, just not too hard!  It comes down to this - do you want to feel grotty or great?  Great wins everytime, it's a no brainer.  So what is standing in my way?  I don't have time - make some.  I don't feel like it - put some mood lifting music on and get on with it.  I, errr, umm, can't think of another reason.... gasp!  You lazy giant seal!  Sort your life out grasshopper!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment