Tuesday 9 November 2010

My Virtual Self

I have come to the somewhat unique conclusion that my virtual self is way better then the real thing.  I can sparkle online because I have words - I can make you laugh, challenge your expectations, make you think, have you wishing you were with me as I brighten your day.  But it appears that the shininess of the virtual cannot translate into the physical.  Words cease to be actual beings that I can mould to my every whim, they become choked in my throat and never make it out or they run screaming for air and no-one knows what the hell I am blathering on about this time.

Maybe living virtually would not be so bad.  Gone would be the dirty, smelly commute to work.  Gone would be the constant annoying drone of other people talking about nothing day in, day out.  Gone would be the plastic smile to show the world that everything is alright.  I think I could really make it work.  As long as I never have to meet anyone, I would be the most awesomest person in the world. 

Take a moment to just allow that image to sink into your brain.  And now consider that some people today are opting for that virtual life.  They cannot leave the house, they can only communicate online and they shut themselves away from the pain of reality because they think this is better.  Right now I must admit that I am on the fence.

But I think the one thing that I would really miss is the hug.  If someone could invent a realistic hug then I think more and more people would turn virtual.  A hug is something that you can't really screw up, it really really isn't rocket science, just stretch those arms out and you are good to go.  When you feel down, a hug can cheer you up.  When you feel lonely, a hug makes you feel connected again.  When you are happy, a hug can transfer that happiness to another person.  The day my laptop hugs me back will be a great stride forward in the establishment of my virtual self. 

1 comment:

  1. the real you is far far superior to the virtual you, and i for one believe the world would be a much duller place if you weren't out interacting with it in the physical rather than just staying virtual

    ReplyDelete